Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ramblings of the Hopeless Romantic


"Do you believe that everyone has a 'someone'?"

I was having dinner with a friend when she asked me this. Being the hopeless romantic that I am, my answer, "Absolutely!" Then can the retort, "Really? But then why are there so many people out there who are still single?"

I had so many thoughts flying through my head, just waiting to be said. But the more I thought about it, the words just couldn't come. Every thought in my head seemed to be contradicted at every turn. There just didn't seem to be anything to warrant what I felt was an unquestionable fact.

And yet, I still adamantly feel that way. It's ironic and silly, but I still feel that way. I mean, honestly, how do you even know if that person is "the" person. How many times have you heard that question being asked!? My favourite answer is this, "You just know."

The only problem is that at some point, someone decided to "settle". And funny enough, it sort of became a trend. These days, you don't even need to propose to someone anymore - you just need to buy a HDB flat together and you're bound for the "I DOs". I don't know, but I just think that people seem to be getting married because that's "the next step in the relationship". Well, hey, there's always divorce if things don't work out right.

What the fuck!? Apparently, it takes like $30 to get married, and $3,000 to get divorced. And that's only if you do it amicably.

But I digress. Coming back to the topic of the day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if there was a somebody for everybody, we don't always make the right choices. There are some of us who just fear commitment or fear the possibility of getting hurt, so we let them slip by. Call me silly if you must, but I just think that for me, even if I know that things might come to an end at some point, I would still go back a million times and do it all over again because special memories are for keeps.

So, I've done enough rambling in this night. I don't even want to read this back because every word I've written will probably just look like random madness from someone who has nothing better to say. I'll come back again another day and try to write something that actually makes sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home